Education at DPCC 2020
Denver Pop Culture Con is dedicated to providing educational opportunities for all attendees — including kids, teens, and educators! With panels, sessions, programs, and events throughout the star-spangled weekend, there is something for everyone at DPCC. Including:
- Educators’ Day (held on Friday, July 3)
- Experience the CoMix (EtCM) (held on Friday, July 3)
- Educational Programming
- ED589: Enhancing Education Through Pop Culture
If you have any questions concerning educational opportunities at DPCC, contact Programming@PopCultureClassroom.org.
Whether you’re new to pop culture or a veteran looking to polish your skills, Educators’ Day at Denver Pop Culture Con (DPCC) has something for you! Including:
- Complimentary attendee day badge for Friday, July 3 2020
- Scores of practical sessions about using pop culture (graphic novels, film, TV, etc.) in the classroom — presented by fellow educators
- Q&As’ with authors, comic creators, and industry leading educators
- The Excellence in Graphic Literature Awards celebrates the previous year’s graphic novels with the most diverse and educational value to teachers and librarians
- Networking opportunities with other educators and DPCC partner groups
- Includes all teachers K-12 through college, librarians, administrators, and home-school parents
- And so much more!
Beyond being Denver’s premier event of the summer, DPCC provides educators with the opportunity to share ideas, build new skills, and discover how to successfully implement pop culture-based education in the classrooms and school.
All at no cost to educators!
The Educators’ Day application will remain open December 1, 2019 – June1, 2020 — please note that applying for Educators’ Day does not guarantee acceptance.
Experience the Comix
Through Experience the CoMix (EtCM), hundreds of underprivileged middle school and high school students are given the opportunity to attend Denver Pop Culture Con (DPCC) at no charge to them! With hundreds of age specific panels and multiple opportunities to engage with industry leaders and explore career opportunities, this programming has something for everyone!
Open to middle schools and high schools throughout Colorado, accepted programs are only required to provide chaperones (a minimum for one per fifteen students) and arrange for transportation for their students to and from the Colorado Convention Center.
The Experience the CoMix application will remain open December 1, 2019 – May 1, 2020 — please note that applying for EtCM does not guarantee acceptance.
Do you want to learn more about teaching with pop culture? Are you interested in introducing rhetoric with Star Wars, encouraging critical thinking with Game of Thrones, or building narrative with DC Comics? Then come to DPCC and, in addition to experiencing the fun and geeky wonder of Con, attend quality educational programs every day of the convention!
The programming schedule will be available two weeks prior to the convention – stay tuned to our website and social media for updates and announcements on educational opportunities.
Educators interested in sharing their insights on teaching with pop culture can submit panels proposals for DPCC 2020:
The DPCC Programming application will remain open November 21, 2019 – April 1, 2020 — please note that applying to present programming does not guarantee acceptance.
ED589: Enhancing Education Through Pop Culture
Offered through Adams State University as a 0.5 graduate credit, ED 589: Enhancing Education Through Pop Culture is a 3-day professional development course hosted at Denver Pop Culture Con.
Through DPCC, this course will provide participants with the opportunity to share ideas, build critical partnerships, and learn from leaders in the field of pop culture education. By participating in this program program, individuals will:
- Attend both theoretical and/or methods based workshops, panels, and sessions
- Gain access to classroom resources
- Learn the skills to leverage and integrate the power of pop culture in education
Stay tuned to our website and social media for additional information, application dates, and cost updates on ED589.